Wednesday, January 14, 2009

NUMB3RS

Today we took a bit of a side road.

Given the longer period of time, I decided to treat the Jacobs kids to something I promised I'd share with them at some point this year... the television show NUMB3RS. It's a crime solving show (much like a CSI) except they use mathematics to help solve and predict crimes. And what's even better, they use "real-life" examples to make it that much more accessible to viewers--the math is pretty complex!

The episode that we watched today just so happened to focus on two kinds of probability. Take a look at a quick YouTube video of one part:



Did you get it right??

I had wanted to test this out with the kids--there can be some pretty tense moments as it's a television show that comes on during prime time on CBS. However, I'll take just about any opportunity I can to show kids that math is "real" and truly applicable in everyday life... even if it is to catch the bad guy on TV. :)

To see more, check out their website: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/numb3rs/

Tomorrow we will look at the "goat" problem again, and then move back into finishing up Chapter 8.